Episode 10 of The Remarkable Business Show
Welcome to a special episode - number 10! I could not have done this without Howard and Harry at engine7. If you need audio production, you need to speak to Howard :) Thank you brother!
In this episode I talk about the fact that time can really fly... and being mindful of how you spend your time.
Not letting good get in the way of great.
I also think about how brands and businesses which tell stories are the ones that succeed and also a little on B Corporations. I love brands that do something really well. McNair Shirts, Plum and Ashby and Bluffworks for example.
What brands do you like?
At the end of the show I cover something that's caught my eye, so much I bought one, and that's an Awair.
It's a device that monitors indoor air and I cannot recommend them enough. Make sure you listen to why it works so well.
Special guest - Andrew Meo
I’m delighted to welcome Andrew to the show. New Zealander Andrew Meo one of the founding partners of Milan based espresso machine manufacturer, Rocket Espresso.
Self employed since the age of 21, Andrew has developed a number of businesses, predominately within both the hospitality and coffee industries before purchasing a failing Italian espresso machine manufacturing business in 2007 and establishing Rocket Espresso.
Driven by both the technical competence of the machine, combined with machine aesthetic, Rocket Espresso is now a leading espresso machine manufacturer.
When not at his desk, Andrew will undoubtably be riding his bike preparing for forth coming races (or having a coffee and a slice of cake).
What we covered
- what Rocket Espresso do and how they started
- their range (consumer and commercial) and the market for these type of machines
- learning about how to brew good coffee at home and the categories of users
- how the market has changed
- the design aesthetic for Rocket
- design and functionaility
- the Rocket brand experience
- the connection with cycling and how this started with a special machine and a collaboration with Rapha
- Rocket's ambassador programme
- the Rocket culture
- Italian working culture
- avoiding hierarchy and everyone getting their hands dirty
- the biggest challenges over the past few years and overcoming these
- how to manage change
- Andrew's biggest challenge in 2019
- new products and the importance of a good grinder
- the importance of setting your business apart from the competition
- going into business for the wrong reason
- the importance of competition
- brands Andrew likes and good business models
Quote of the Episode:
This episode’s quote comes from Hunter S Thompson and refers to what I was talking about at the beginning of the show.
That is making sure you don’t stay on autopilot, you become mindful of what you are doing and what you are PLANNING on doing.
Life is short and most people look back and think of the things they wish they did… estimate how many years you have left, even months and days and you soon realise we are not immortal… (not wanting to be morbid, it's reality!).
Hunter summed it up nicely…
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
What's caught my eye?
Awair tracks invisible fine dust and chemicals in your air and gives you personalised recommendations to help you stay safe and healthy. Get one for your home and office. Highly recommended.
Time to switch your energy supplier and get £50 using this link.
An excellent app and fair pricing. All advice points towards switching regularly and Bulb make it a very simple process.
Don't forget to sign up for The Bulletin and my free e-book - "Essential tools, tips and advice to make you more efficient and productive."
The full transcript is available at the top of the page.
A heartfelt thanks to Howard and Harry at Engine7 for their audio wizardry and advice. I could not do this without their help.
Thank you for listening, I really appreciate your valuable time.
Thanks for joining me again on this episode of The Remarkable Business Show. Let me know what you think of the show by sending me an email to jon at jonmoss.co.uk
If you enjoyed this episode, please let someone know - send them a message or email or tweet about the show. You can share this episode easily by clicking the share link at the top of the page. Thank you!
Also, please leave an honest review for the Remarkable Business Show on iTunes or Stitcher. Ratings and reviews are super-helpful and they make a HUGE difference for the show visibility. Anything you write, I promise I will read.
Music by Ben Sound and Premium Beats.
Audio Production by engine7 wizards.
- engine7 — The people who make this podcast sound great! Thanks Howard :)
- Rocket Espresso — Rocket Espresso
- Andrew's Instagram — Follow Andrew on Instagram!
- McNair Shirts — The finest mountain shirts in the world.
- Plum & Ashby — We create beautifully designed, high quality products for your home with an aesthetic that is clean, simple, elegant and considered. Our home & body collections are inspired by and celebrate our love of the British countryside. Made in England and enriched with natural ingredients.
- Bluffworks — Welcome to Bluffworks. We make products that solve problems so you can take on the world while looking great. We believe life is a grand adventure, and your clothes shouldn’t hold you back. Our not-so-basics are designed to empower the journeys of men and women around the world - for work, play and beyond.
- Awair — Awair tracks invisible fine dust and chemicals in your air and gives you personalised recommendations to help you stay safe and healthy.